Featured MISC artist: Sayaka Suzuki


Sayaka Suzuki is a very dynamic artist within Mayo Island Studio Collective.  Her studio, the first space you encounter upon entering MISC, is a wonderland of materials.  I will let her Artist Statement speak for itself:

"Everywhere I look, I see decomposition- of abandoned lots, flightless birds, rusted train tracks, forgotten hoops, and tarnished walls of old Richmond. But they are all beautiful- they whisper their existence- ephemeral, serene, and often historicized mementos that resonates potentiality.
I attempt to capture these curiosities in my work- beauty of our recent past and of our unique presence.

My work is a theatrical space, an experience that is created for personal discoveries. At times my work is commemorative, at other times it reflects urgency, and often times it provides a reflective moment.  But all of which hopefully transforms a space or an object into a moment of discovery. All reflect the world of possibilities. Through using materials that reflect the sensibility and sensitivity of human hands, such as hand worked glass, fabric, and recycled items, I work to give concrete proof of our existence.

Alongside these notions of decay lies my hopefulness- by reincarnating the forms and challenging the way people see the forms. I investigate the possibilities as I rediscover forgotten histories and lives. My work captures my process of remembering and celebrating while simultaneously imagining our capacity to function as philanthropists. 
Like the silent movies of the past, I hope to create experiences that resonate, experiences that remain personal to the viewers."

www.sayaka-suzuki.com/
www.etsy.com/shop/DEERbySayaka 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Flickr Photostream

Twitter Updates

Meet The Author